lördag 28 augusti 2010

Another day in Guyana

Yesterday morning I woke up with a big cockroach on my arm. They must be the cockiest creatures on the planet. My nightmare is that they will dart into my mouth while I am sleeping. I hate them but if I kill them it just ends up with another slush to clean, so I guess that I just have to deal with them.

Because of the abrupt wake up this morning I didn’t feel tiered. Dressed as fast as I could and went out in the early morning. The clock was five and the sun hadn’t risen. Everything was asleep as I walked through the deserted village down to the river. The air was cool and the river was smooth like a millpond, and formed a perfect reflection of the sky and threes. This is the best time of the day, when everything feels fresh and untouched.

When I came back a man had been stung by a Scorpion. His hand had swollen up to almost double size and it looked bizarre to see the hand still growing. The man had been working in the garden and rummaged in some twigs. Even if the stung is extremely painful this species of scorpion is not dangerous to humans, I was told.

I was just about to go back from the forest in the evening when I saw huge thunder clouds form over the Kanuka Mountains as they forced towards the village I packed my stuff and went back. 20 minutes later the blue sky turned to black and with a lightning the sky opened and a pool of water smashed to the ground. The shower was so powerful that it was hard to see and breathe in all of the water. While I was running towards the village in the early evening I meet a little girl carrying a big tree trunk together with an older woman. It should have been such good photo, but it would feel so rotten just to watch them carry. Instead I helped them to bring the trunk to their hut and then darted the last couple of hundred meters to Caiman house.

Some good species for the day:
Giant Utter
Black Kaiman
Pearl kite
Fork-tailed palmswift
Linated Woodpecker

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar